Including fashion schools in Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal and Nunavut.
The Fur Council of Canada and NAFA
offer you a unique opportunity to work with the luxury material that have charmed top designers including Dior, Fendi, Jean Paul-Gautier and others!!!
Fur is the ultimate luxury. It also reflects environmental values that will warm the heart of any nature-loving fashionista. Fur is a natural product that is long lasting, recyclable and biodegradable. The Canadian fur trade is an excellent example of the responsible and sustainable use of renewable resources – a principle supported by all major world conservation organizations.
GET INSPIRED by the natural beauty of
red fox, grey fox, beaver, raccon or coyote
to reinvent the fur YOUR WAY!
1ST prize: 400$
2ND prize: 300$
3RD prize: 200$
A VIP INVITATION TO ATTEND A SESSION AT THE NAFA DESIGN STUDIO, IN TORONTO!
- A chance to make your garment with assistance of a Master furrier -- and to learn the skills of this unique Canadian heritage industry! Furs for your garment will be provided by NAFA.
- PRESENTATION of your winning piece (on the runway and in a special display) for international buyers at NAFFEM North American Fur & Fashion Exposition, in Montreal!
- Trip to Montreal NAFFEM, May 1-2-3 2011, including transportation, hotel and ticket for the opening night Gala Fashion Show.
- Winners will be submitted to the REMIX, THE INTERNATIONAL FUR DESIGN COMPETITION, at Milan's Fair Show (MiFur). Remix will be held in Spring 2011.
The competition is open to STUDENTS CURRENTLY STUDYING IN FASHION DESIGN.
1 December 2010: Launch of the Competition
February 28, 2011 : Deadline for SUBMITING SKETCHES to the Fur Council of Canada
Fur Council of Canada
1435 St-Alexandre #1270
Montreal, QC, Canada
Beginning of March 2011: The Results will be sent to schools
Beginning of March 2011 : Winning studets matched with master furriers to start the production.
21 April 2011 : Delivery finished garments to the Fur Council
1 May 2011 : Opening of Gala show Naffem 2011
2 MAY 2011 : PRESENTATION OF PRIZES TO WINNERS ON NAFFEM STAGE.
o SKETCHES SUBMITTED MUST BE FOR A SMALL FUR PIECE: E. G., SHORT JACKET, VEST, CAP, ETC.
o ONE SUBMISSION ONLY, PER STUDENT.
o SKETCHES MUST BE IN COLOR (13” X 16”) AND MUST INCLUDE:
ON THE FRONT:
- SHORT DESCRIPTION OF THE GARMENT
- TECHNICAL DRAWING (BACK AND FRONT)
- SAMPLE OF MATERIALS (FABRIC, BUTTONS AND OTHER ACCESSORIES)
- SHORT DESCRIPTION OF TARGET CLIENT
ON THE BACK:
- CONTACT INFORMATION: SCHOOL NAME, STUDENT NAME
- BIO OF PARTICIPANT MUST BE LISTED ON THE DOCUMENT, ON THE BACK
3. CREATION OF GARMENTS:
- The winners will be paired with a technician (master furrier) to help make their garment (maximum hours per winners may be imposed)
- Fur Council of Canada and NAFA will provide the furs needed to make the garment. The available fur types are: red fox, grey fox, beaver, raccon and coyote.
- The winning garments will be displayed at NAFFEM 2011 (1-3 May, 2011), therefore we will need the garments completed for April 21 in order to prepare the show. Garments will be returned after the NAFFEM.
4. SELECTION PROCESS:
Who are the judges?
THE JURY will be composed of Canadian fur industry professionals (designers, master craftspeople, retail furries) who will select the winning entries.
THREE WINNERS will be judged by TWO MAIN CRITERIA: (i) marketing potential and (ii) creativity.